Skin Consulting 101

I would like to take a moment to discuss something that is very important to myself as well as the clients I work with everyday.

It is called a Skin Consultation. One of the MOST IMPORTANT steps in finding a solution for clients who need direction on their skin care routine.

I cannot stress this enough in my everyday life especially when I have clients approaching me, asking me things like;

* "This cream is making me breakout"
* "I am finding that this product is burning my skin"
* "I don't know how to use this"
* "What is this suppose to do for my skin again?"

The question I ask them is, " Did someone sit down with you and do a skin care consultation?" And 8/10 times they say no and have no idea what a skin care consultation is.

As a professional, you have to recommend products for clients everyday. Also, you have to make sure it is going to work for them before they walk away from you. It is so important to learn about their skin as well as educating them on procedures, techniques and solutions to help them get back to a state of mind that they feel comfortable with themselves.

I see too may Consultants that just spend 2-5 minutes with a client and then a week later that client comes back with one of the questions quoted above. You are only taking credit off of yourself as well as losing the confidence that the client saw in you.

If I was to walk into a place that sold products and someone took the time out of their day to understand my needs and wants then I would forever remember that experience, oppose to walking in, being recommended to use a certain item, take it home and have a reaction right away. And don't forget I would then have to take time again out of my day to deal with the issue, that could've been avoided.

Treat others how you would like to be treated in situations because it gives you a true appreciation of the industry and of the person.

Find out what the needs, wants and outcomes your clients have laid out and educate them on how they can reach those goals. They are putting their trust in you so you need to show them.

Create a relationship with your clients, it is #1.